The Service is always looking for talented and skilled individuals to join our team. Diversity is not only part of the Service’s culture it is a core business strategy. We are building a workforce which is representative of the Canadian society and our programs and policies are designed to foster diversity and inclusion.
The role of the Technical Officer is to provide expert support of leading-edge technologies to solve complex problems and to advance investigative initiatives. They also lead CSIS to the forefront of technology and innovation by improving technical capabilities to further enhance CSIS intelligence collection.
Collaboration, expertise and communication are the key criteria sought after for creating new solutions, systems, platforms and tools, or to creatively integrate existing (commercially off the shelf) technologies with the end goal of protecting our Country against terrorism, espionage and other threats to our security.
- Research, evaluate and test new technologies, tools and procedures in order to support the planning and deployment of operational capabilities, and recommend future developments to maintain and improve intelligence gathering capabilities.
- Resolve complex problems/issues by researching, analysing, and providing advice, tactical developmental support or liaising with other resources, as required.
- Provide training and support to clients and colleagues to maintain and improve technical capabilities for the Service.
- Liaise with government agencies both national and international, representing the Service in the exchange of information, techniques and /or analysis and develop and maintain contacts in various technologies and all related areas.
- Prepare detailed documents on issues pertaining to STS projects by gathering information and data, conducting analysis and preparing reports and assessments of technology gaps and opportunities.
- Assess information and provide operational support to meet managerial and operational requirements for plans, policies and budgetary needs in accordance with Service requirements.
- Undergraduate degree (Computer, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Mechanical with Machining Certification or Network Security) and three (3) years of experience*
- 3-year Technical Diploma (Computer, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Mechanical with Machining Certification or Network Security) and four (4) years of experience*
- Professional technologist equivalency designation OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians & Technologist Certification) and four (4) years of experience*
*Any higher level of education could be recognized as experience.
Depending on the position, all candidates must possess professional experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Mechanical / construction aptitude (working with your hands, building construction knowledge).
- Mechanical / Electrical aptitude (base vehicle knowledge, base electrical knowledge, residential).
- Machine shop / Work shop (machine programming, machining, fabrication, mechanical repair / maintenance).
- Radio, Knowledge of RF theory, practical application and various complimentary technologies.
- Computer hardware and peripherals.
- Telecommunication technologies (T1, PRI, ATM, GSM, LTE, etc.)
- Networking and network security (switches, routers, firewall, IDS/IPS, PSPs).
- Internet infrastructure, protocols, and programming Internet applications.
- Configuration and troubleshooting of both hardware and software for computers and hand held devices.
- Project management.
** A written examination will be administered as a screening tool in order to assess the candidates’ fundamental knowledge in at least one of the following areas:
- Operating Systems and Programming
- Wireless and RF
- Telecomms / VoIP
Problem solving/Collaboration, Adaptability/Stress Management, Communication, Judgement and Innovation.
Who Can Apply
Canadian citizens eligible for a Top Secret security clearance.
Candidates must have no criminal record, must not have used illegal drugs in the last twelve (12) months and must be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. This process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications.
Various linguistic profiles.
$ 65,620 - $ 90,730 per annum. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We Also Offer
Organized and recreational sports activities, on-site fitness facility, full service cafeteria, and bus route service within proximity.
- CSIS National Headquarters, Ottawa (Ontario) or
- CSIS Toronto Regional Office, Toronto (Ontario)
Term position with the possibility of a permanent position after one (1) year.
How To Apply
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
If you meet these requirements, you may submit your candidacy by clicking Apply Now and quote the reference number based on the regions identified below in your cover letter.
Human Resources, National Headquarters
Reference number : 12-968-08-056
Human Resources, Toronto Region
Reference number : 13-968-08-035
CSIS is committed to Employment Equity and encourages the equitable participation of all Canadians. If your application is retained and you require any special accommodation during the selection process, please advise us. The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSIS. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.