Senior System Analyst
The Service is always looking for talented and skilled individuals to join our team. Diversity is not only part of the Service’s culture it is a core business strategy. We are building a workforce which is representative of the Canadian society and our programs and policies are designed to foster diversity and inclusion.
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is seeking qualified candidates to fill Senior Software System Analyst positions within Scientific and Technical Services Branch. The incumbent is responsible for the development of tactical interception tools or processing system software. Major tasks may include:
- Determine and gather user requirements; synthesize possible solution concepts to meet these; build proof-of-concept prototypes to evaluate these; develop specifications and designs; personally code, test and debug, integrate and support software implementing the intercept and processing solutions.
- Research options, acquire, install and configure software and hardware to support the solutions; provide documentation, training and ongoing support for these solutions.
- Develop plans with detailed objectives, cost estimates and time frames for the branch’s projects by discussing operational and technical requirements with clients.
- Research, analyze, test, select and recommend appropriate technologies that will fulfil user needs and increase the efficiency/efficacy of the branch’s software and the data analysis / data handling systems.
- Prepare technical reports and recommend new technologies to branch members and management, visiting representatives from government or allied organizations, and to Senior Executive members.
- Produce Statements of Work for consultants, contractors and service provider companies, write Requests for Proposals, review responses and decide which will be engaged by formally assessing the merits of the bids and approving technical specifications for all designs/modifications required.
- Resolve problems by analyzing and following systems development practices/standards, facilitating discussion, resolving conflicts between suppliers and developing new approaches to resolve issues.
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Engineering with a software or network / computer focus and seven (7) years of experience in software system development in the last ten (10) years including at least four (4) years of experience of hands-on design and coding within the last six (6) years; or
- Technologist diploma or a Professional technologist equivalency designation with a software or network /computer focus and eight (8) years of experience in software system development in the last ten (10) years including at least five (5) years of experience of hands-on design and coding within the last six (6) years.
Candidates must also possess:
- Experience working with communication protocols (e.g. HTTP, SSL, SMTP, etc);
- Experience working with networking protocols (e.g. Ethernet, VLANs, TCP/IP, UDP, PPP)
- Experience with object-oriented (OO) modeling, design and coding using related methodologies and tools
- Experience developing in LINUX and/or Windows environments
- Experience developing software in C, C++, C# and/or JAVA
- Experience in designing/architecting computer systems, applications and networks
- Experience in coding, testing and debuging software
- Experience in resolving complex problems
- Experience in conveying complex issues to non-technical people
- Experience in applying software development best practices and tools
- Experience with system level coding, inter-process communication methods, data/packet parsing,
- Experience with RDBMS, including SQL
- Leadership experience in a software development team
*A written examination will be administered for the screening of candidates in order to evaluate the technical abilities of the candidates.
Analytical skills, Strategic Thinking, Initiative, Innovation, Problem Solving and Communication
Who Can Apply
Canadian citizens eligible for a Top Secret security clearance.
Candidates must have no criminal record and must be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. This process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications.
$84,610 to $102,990 per year. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
We Also Offer
Organized and recreational sports activities, on-site fitness facility, full service cafeteria, and bus route service within proximity.
CSIS National Headquarters, Ottawa (Ontario).
Term with a possibility of a permanent position with one (1) year probation.
How To Apply
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
If you meet these requirements, you may submit your candidacy by clicking Apply Now and quote reference 13-968-09-015 in your cover letter.
CSIS is committed to Employment Equity and encourages the equitable participation of all Canadians. If your application is retained and you require any special accommodation during the selection process, please advise us. The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSIS. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.