Senior Software System Analyst
The Service is always looking for talented and skilled individuals to join our team. Diversity is not only part of the Service’s culture it is a core business strategy. We are building a workforce which is representative of the Canadian society and our programs and policies are designed to foster diversity and inclusion.
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is seeking qualified candidates to fill Senior Software System Analyst positions within Scientific and Technical Services Branch.
The incumbent is responsible for the development and management of major software application systems in the unit.
- Determine and gather user requirements; synthesize possible solution concepts to meet these; build proof-of-concept prototypes to evaluate these; develop specifications and designs; personally write, test and debug, and integrate software to implement these solutions; some of these solutions will be custom applications and data analysis tools to address advanced information exploitation requirements
- Research options, acquire, install and configure software and hardware to support the solutions; provide documentation, training and ongoing support for these solutions.
- Manage complex system development projects by planning, organizing, directing and controlling multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Develop plans with detailed objectives, cost estimates and time frames for the branch’s projects by discussing operational and technical requirements with clients.
- Manage all project activities by developing and maintaining the project plan, controlling budgetary expenditures, directing or instructing programmers, technologists and contractors, who are responsible for implementing the project, with technical expertise, guidance and advice.
- Research, analyze, test, select and recommend appropriate technologies that will fulfil user needs and increase the efficiency/efficacy of the branch’s software and the data analysis / data handling systems.
- Prepare technical reports and recommend new technologies to branch members and management, visiting representatives from government or allied organizations, and to Senior Executive members.
- Collaborate with and guide information exploitation analysts on any intelligence analysis activities pursued in response to Ops requests for support (Ops "tasking") that require highly developed technical expertise.
- Produce Statements of Work for consultants, contractors and service provider companies, write Requests for Proposals, review responses and decide which will be engaged by formally assessing the merits of the bids and approving technical specifications for all designs/modifications required.
- Resolve problems by analyzing and following systems development practices/standards, facilitating discussion, resolving conflicts between suppliers and developing new approaches to resolve issues.
- Recommend new projects in the branch’s annual plans by identifying advanced data analysis and exploitation technologies needed by CSIS through active liaison with allied agencies, other Government departments, academia and industry.
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Science, with a software or network /computer security focus and seven (7) years of experience in software system development in the last ten (10) years and four (4) years of experience performing software system development in a coding and/or designing capacity within the last six (6) years, or
- Technologist diploma or a Professional technologist equivalency designation with a software or network /computer security focus and eight (8) years of experience in software system development in the last ten (10) years and five (5) years of experience performing software system development in a coding and/or designing capacity within the last six (6) years.
NOTE: Any higher level of education in relevant/related fields could be recognized as experience.
Candidates must also possess:
- Experience in information technology security (e.g. network security, intrusion detection, software vulnerability analysis).
- Experience working with network protocols (e.g. HTTP, SSL, SMTP, etc).
- Experience adhering to software development best practices and software design methodologies.
- Experience in cross-platform and/or cross-architecture development and scripting.
- Experience in low-level operating-system level or assembly-language development.
*A written examination will be administered for the screening of candidates.
Analytical skills, Innovation, Adaptability/Flexibility, Communication, Problem Solving and Project Management.
Who Can Apply
Canadian citizens eligible for a Top Secret security clearance.
Candidates must have no criminal record, must not have used illegal drugs in the last twelve (12) months and must be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. This process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications.
$84,610 to $102,990 per year. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We Also Offer
Organized and recreational sports activities, on-site fitness facility, full service cafeteria, and bus route service within proximity.
CSIS National Headquarters, Ottawa (Ontario).
Term and indeterminate (permanent) positions with a one (1) year probation.
How To Apply
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
If you meet these requirements, you may submit your candidacy by clicking Apply Now and quote reference 12-968-09-091 in your cover letter.
CSIS is committed to Employment Equity and encourages the equitable participation of all Canadians. If your application is retained and you require any special accommodation during the selection process, please advise us. The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSIS. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.