Analyst - Systems
The Service is always looking for talented and skilled individuals to join our team. Diversity is not only part of the Service’s culture it is a core business strategy. We are building a workforce which is representative of the Canadian society and our programs and policies are designed to foster diversity and inclusion.
The Information Management / Information Technology (IM/IT) Branch is the centralized authority for all matters pertaining to the automation and delivery of corporate Information Technology (IT) services. We design and develop innovative information technology applications and systems and provide ongoing support of core information systems and services to enhance CSIS’ ability to fulfill its mandate.
Business Solutions Division is responsible for providing software applications and other solutions that support the IT-based business needs of the Service. These solutions include simple procedural changes, finding COTS that meet business requirements, and development of custom software applications.
The Systems Analyst is responsible for leading technical teams and providing IM/IT expertise on the development and support of new or existing suite of solutions offered by the Division.
- Plan activities and lead technical resources to successful completion of solutions as per approved requirements.
- Lead the technical team through the development of activities ensuring effective tasking, scheduling, co-ordination and monitoring of all activities and resources that span multiple branches and divisions of the Service.
- Participate as a team member by assuming the role of a Senior Systems Analyst for the definition and analysis of user requirements and recommend improvements to current business solutions by conducting feasibility studies.
- Contribute to the development of the schedule for the delivery of IT solutions by providing time estimates, task descriptions and resource requirements.
- As a team member, provide input to the design of the technical solution to the business requirements.
- Liaise with the Quality Assurance (QA) unit to contribute, develop and execute test cases.
- Provide maintenance and support to existing Production systems through incident management, problem resolution, and implementing functional enhancements.
- Support the installation and release of solutions to clients by developing and presenting information sessions and training seminars.
- Ensure the analysis and design of computer systems adhere to appropriate IM/IT standards and best practices including policies and directives of the federal government, the Service, and other policy centres.
- Undergraduate degree* and three (3) years of experience**
- Technologist diploma or Professional technologist equivalency designation and four (4) years of experience**
*Education: Computer Science, Computer / Electrical / Electronic Engineering or Network Security.
**Recent and significant experience in gathering functional and non-functional requirements, application design, development, documentation, testing, implementation, user training, and maintenance activities in an IM/IT environment.
(Recent experience is defined as experience acquired within the last five (5) years. Significant experience is defined as the depth and breadth of experience that would normally be acquired by a person in a position where the performance of these duties are/were the main functions over a period of at least three (3) years.)
Candidates must also possess:
- Two (2) years experience in coordinating/leading a technical design of a project or enhancement including the analysis of client needs to meet business requirements for the creation of IT solutions.
- Experience in preparing technical solutions including feasibility studies and/or Proof of Concepts (POC) for application development and/or maintenance/support issues and creating resource estimates and/or plans.
- Experience in the development of policies, procedures and/or standards related to IM/IT solutions.
- Experience in applying current trends, methodologies, standards, practices and/or products in an IM/IT environment.
- Experience with COTS integration.
- Experience with systems architecture.
- Experience with research & development initiatives.
- Experience with software reverse engineering.
- Experience in developing and documenting architectural builds relating to application infrastructure (such as Active Directory integration and use, SQL common components, and application development tools).
- Experience in providing advice, guidance, briefings and recommendations to management and stakeholders on technology and/or business issues.
Analytical skills, Initiative, Focus Results, Teamwork, Diligence.
Who Can Apply
Canadian citizens eligible for a Top Secret security clearance.
Candidates must have no criminal record, must not have used illegal drugs in the last twelve (12) months and must be able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. This process involves a security interview, a polygraph, and a background investigation that includes credit and financial verifications.
Various linguistic profiles.
$74,570 to $90,730. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We Also Offer
Organized and recreational sports activities, on-site fitness facility, full service cafeteria, and bus route service within proximity.
CSIS National Headquarters, Ottawa (Ontario).
Term or Indeterminate (permanent) position with a one (1) year probation.
How To Apply
CSIS is a separate employer and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). CSIS has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
If you meet these requirements, you may submit your candidacy by clicking Apply Now and quote reference 12-968-08-057 in your cover letter.
CSIS is committed to Employment Equity and encourages the equitable participation of all Canadians. If your application is retained and you require any special accommodation during the selection process, please advise us. The personal information provided in your application is protected under the Privacy Act and will be held in Personal Information Bank SIS/P-PU-025.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CSIS. However, only those who are selected for further consideration will be contacted.